Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Crash Into Me . . .

Alright, yes, I stole the line from a Dave Mathews Band song - one which I love, by the way. The only reason that I reference it is because of the name of my new project - Crashing Waves I know, I know. . . I said that I wasn't going to start anything else until I finished some UFOs. I admit it, I said it (hangs head and shuffles right foot). I tried, I really did. I spent some time looking through the UFO bin. I examined the patterns and looked at the colors. Nothing appealed to me. Really. Nothing! There - I said it, the projects looked boring. Of course, they didn't when I started them but they do now. I still haven't decided whether to frog or to continue with them - but, I also didn't take action on them. Mea culpa. So, while I was doing that, diving into the UFO bin, I had a niggling thought in the back of my head. It took a few days for that thought to take shape. What? What's that color? The thought had a beautiful deep coral tone to it. What? It is lightweight; it's laceweight. Hmmm.... I went to stash and found them. The skeins that had been percolating up through my subconscious. I have two skeins of Manos del Uruguay Lace in Banshee. Banshee is a deep coral of Alpaca, Silk and Cashmere origination. After I grabbed it, I skulked around looking for a pattern. I kept the lights low so that I wouldn't be spotted starting something new. My breathing was shallow as I held the yarn looking through the stored patterns - and there it was! It is a lovely shawletter by Grace Akhrem. Crashing Waves is a simple pattern trimmed in a lovely, wide lace panel. I could hear the angels sing when I saw the pattern. That was it! I decided then and there that I would knit for myself. After all that, I set aside my guilt at not working on UFOs and I could feel the waves of calm come crashing (alright, it isn't the best analogy but go with me on this) around me. I felt a sense of peace that I could work on something lovely for myself. No polyester like the last socks. No difficult fibers like the mohair and rayon in my last spinning. Just lovely, soft and lustrous yarn. So, there it is. No UFOs, just new knitting. What peace! Carry on.

No comments: