Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Squawks! Fawkes!!

Finally, finally, I found the right fiber to use to knitting the Fawkes socks. I've been hunting for the right fiber for a couple of months and there it was - almost handed to me.

I was reading the Yarn Harlot's blog the other day when she was chatting about knitting (of course!) and making socks. Well, she was really chatting about her book deadline but she was using the sock knitting to soothe her stress. She had an amazing photo of her version of Cookie A's Monkey socks from Knitty. The pattern is lovely but isn't one I want to do right now. What I want to do is those Fawkes socks from Momma-Monkey (is there a primate theme here?). I've been eyeing that pattern since July when it was published.

Hopefully, it is obvious to all Harry Potter fans that the Fawkes pattern is in honor of Headmaster Dumbledore's pet phoenix. I knew, from first seeing it, that I wanted to do the pattern is a mix of twilight sky colors. I envisioned a combination of that orangey-peachy-yellowy, persimmonny-pink, red that is part of the early night sky. You know the shades, they come on a clear night right before the cornflower and midnight blues take over. Well, it's good to know what you want but finding it is tough - especially when I had such a specific image in mind. I did come across some roving of the right colors and thought I could spin what I wanted. Then, sanity reigned and reminded me that spinning was good but I don't, yet, have that kind of control over my spinning to get the colorway I wanted. There was a greater chance that I'd end up with a yarn that looked like a squished tomato rather than the fabulous combination worthy of Dumbledore's phoenix. Sigh . . .

The search continued until I read the Harlot's blog posting yesterday. As usual, she linked to the pattern and to the fiber source. I held my breath as I clicked the link for the fiber and it took me to Knittlestick's site. I found the fiber; it is the "Sailor's Delight" colorway. See, it is even named after that twilight sky color combination. "Red sky at morning, sailors take warning, red sky at night, sailor's delight." My fingers were crossed when I clicked to see if there was any left. Aha!!! There was a single skein left; my heart skipped a beat.

Okay, okay - yes, I am on a yarn diet. Yes, I'd vowed to knit up some stash before buying more; but, but, but, it was the right colorway! And, and, and, there was only one! And, it had the right name. Can't you see the stars aligning for these socks?!? Okay - yes, I've got other things to knit and yes, time is at a premium - but, they will be beautiful socks!!!

So, there it is. I rationalized (being the Queen of Rationalization!) I bought the skein. Yes, I did. I admit it, I am Dianne and I am a fiber-holic!

All that being said, I also admit to a certain amount of satisfaction and a bit of chagrin (only a bit) when I read the comments on the Harlot's blog today. I was scanning them and saw someone's comment about the yarn. The commenter mentioned that the colorway was no longer available. It was me! I bought it! (I hang my head in shame while I smirk smugly!!!)

2 comments:

Wendee said...

Hey - I found you! I'm so glad the last Sailor's Delight for that run was yours! I printed out the Fawkes socks pattern and I'm going to make a pair in Sailor's Delight too - thanks for turning me on to the pattern. We'll be twins!

CosmicWeb said...

Thanks for the post and, of course, for the yarn. You are the first ever to comment on my blog. Woohoo!

We will be twins!! Well, if we ever are at the same event, we can arrange to meet by wearing the same socks. Can't you see it? Bending over to check peoples socks to see if it is me or you? LOL!!!