Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Woohoo!! A finished project!!

Okay, okay - I made it to Manhattan and back without checking out a single yarn shop (she hangs her head in shame and shuffles her feet). I did, though, accomplish a couple of things. Woohoo!! Watch out - I feel a rationalization coming on!

I got to see some amazing sweaters - hand-made and machine made - and they weren't all on skinny models; some were actually being worn outside. Being in the Big Apple, I was near the epicenter of fashion (phooey on Milan and Paris) and saw some wonderfy assymetrical designs. It was inspiring and it gives me a new view of "Vogue Knitting."

Besides that, I finished my red, yellow and purple striped socks. I've been working on these for 2 months. I finished the first in August while with Miss Alabama and Miss Missouri in Tennessee. I started the 2nd sock at a Detroit Tigers game, worked on it in Atlanta (while there for work) and finished it in New York City. That's one well-traveled pair of socks.

I am calling these my 'fraternal socks' since they aren't identical. Well, I don't think any hand knit socks are really identical - but, these are a bit off. I started the first sock from the inside of the skein and the 2nd sock from the outside. Consequently, the stripes go in different directions. I could say this was a design choice, but, alas, no - it was an error. It is, now, though, a design feature. ;-)

There, those are my excuses for not making it to any yarn stores while in NYC!! Maybe next time.

No comments: