Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Just one more row, please, just one more.

Well, since finishing the Fraternal socks, I've been going in circles about what to knit. Over the past few weeks, I've purchased several skeins of various amazing sock yarns in preparation for being able to start a new project. I've been digging through patterns, scouring the internet and even wondering if I could create my own sock pattern (No! I am not there ... yet!). All of this was in anticipation of finishing the Fraternal socks and being able to start something new.

Well, as we know, the Fraternal socks were born last week. So, what have I been doing with my time? I just don't know. Somehow, when I looked at the chocolate, vanilla and strawberry striped yarn that I'd purchased for the Carolyn, The Last Queen of Monaco socks by Momma Monkey, I just wasn't satisfied - rather, I wasn't excited with starting them. Okay, maybe it was because I was starting them in the evening and I wasn't in the mood to wind the loose skein into a center-pull ball. Maybe it was because I'd just finished a striped socks and I wasn't in the mood. Who the heck knows?

So, I looked to the Fawkes socks or the Bellatrix pattern, also by Momma Monkey. I was itching to do one of her patterns but not interested in something that made a bold statement like the reds of the Fawkes or the dropped stitches of the Bellatrix. Again, who knows?

Now, add to this a bit of a cold/fluey-type thing that has been going around the office. I picked it up last week and didn't get much at all done over the weekend. My mind was willing but my body was not cooperating. Either I was blowing my nose or sneezing or coughing up a bit of lung. None of those things are conducive to smooth knitting. Sigh.

On Saturday, I dragged myself out of bed and went to my LYS. Ewe-Nique Knits was busy; they usually are busy. That doesn't matter, though 'cuz Marilyn or Amy still take a moment to chat. Marilyn showed me the new Buffalo Gold fiber that they've stocked (and I cannot afford). She also showed me the socks that were on her needles; well, needle - she was knitting on her 'concert needle' - a single circular that she's been taking to concerts with her. Anyway, she was knitting with simply shetland which is a silk and lambswool blend. It is lovely. I fell for it.

I brought that yarn home - two lovely balls of a color called 'Notland'. It is a soft brown with flecks of black and a hint of beige. As I set those lovely bits of yarn on my studio table, I winced a bit. Ah, chagrin! I was ready with the yarn but, what pattern? Fortunately, it didn't take but a moment to work that out. During all my 'research' last week, I knew just what I wanted to knit. I wanted something with where the knit pattern would be the design element, not the color. I wanted something that would show off a nifty stitch and still be a lovely color. Well, I had it, again, Momma Monkey's pattern, this time the Gwen.

I let the yarn sit there for a day as I slept most of Sunday - no knitting for me. But, Monday was a Federal Holiday - Columbus Day for the Americans (Thanksgiving for Canadians). I would have some time. Woohoo! I admit, I didn't dive right in to the socks. I did a bit of laundry (6 loads) and some puttering (straightening, dishes, etc.). But, then, when all that was done, there was no stopping me!!! Knitting was my reward!

Wouldn't you know it? I'd had to toss my favorite machine-made brown socks due to holes - now what was I going to do??? As I cast on, I realized that I couldn't wear my new brown pants until I finished these socks. Okay, that's a bit of an extreme - but, its a good excuse to plug away - to spend inordinate amounts of time knitting. Aha! A juicy rationalization for mucho knitting!!!

The cast on went smoothly. I did a 2 needle, long-tail cast on. I was worried that the silk wouldn't be elastic enough with a regular cast on so I cast on over 2 of the DPNs that I was using (size 0). I finished the rib cuff in no time and started on the pattern. It is a straightforward 5-row, 5-stitch repeat that is easy to remember. It has a k3tog combination in there that can be tough on the fingers - but, it looks great - it almost looks like a cable. The leg of the sock (I am on the 4th pattern repeat) is even and showing off the stitch pattern brilliantly. Tonight, as I was finishing off the 3rd of the repeats, I was thinking that I could get my nightly ablutions (ironing, lunch-making, bathing) done in the morning. Well, though I wanted to, I knew I couldn't do that - I'd be too rushed in the a.m.. But, if I could do just 1 more row, I'd iron, or shower or something.

If I could do just 1 more row, I'd let the puppies in from outside and then I'd feed the kitties - just one more row. I swear the animals know when I am in the 'one more row' mode. The cats stop rubbing against me and just lean against me and wait. The pups stop pounding against the back door and just sit there, looking in expectantly. We all know - just one more row and we can move on. Honest, I'll write a blog entry - right after just one more row.

No comments: