Saturday, October 20, 2007

Yarn Pimp

So, the other day I was listening to a podcast - knitting, of course, and I heard the podcaster refer to herself as a 'Yarn Pimp'. Now, before I go on, I must admit that I cannot remember which podcast (though I will post it when I can) I was listening to at that time. I diligently made a note of it, of the podcaster's name and of her website. Do you think I can find the note? Not a chance. Podcasts are my new traveling 'music'. I listen to them on the way to work, walking from the car to the building, while at lunch, on the way home, etc. etc. But, I digress.

Anyway, she (this podcaster) referred to herself as a 'Yarn Pimp' and I thought "that's me, too!" I've been accused of being an enabler (thanks to my BFF) but no one has called me a pimp, no one but me, that is. I'll admit to it; I'll own it. I don't actually think I do it out loud. You won't find me wearing a felted fedora with a long feather trying to sell yarns to other folks in some dark alley just looking for my cut of the take. No, I do it to myself! There, I've said it.

I've gone into my LYS (Ewe-Nique Knits) and into other stores and looked at yarns but didn't buy. I've done it on-line, during the day, when looking at indy dyers and spinners and I don't buy. Sure, I put up a good front. I seem to be in control and respectable. I hear some saying "look how restrained she is -she isn't buying yarn." That's me, restrained!

Then, I get home after a stressful day at work and I start to browse. Oh, I might be looking at yarn store sites or, I might be reading blogs. I read about knitters buying these amazing color-ways in skeins with fantastic yardage and my resolve starts to waiver. I even move away from the computer to try to do something else around the house and I keep getting called back. I hear that voice, that quiet sultry voice saying "look at this, ain't this nice? That skein of from etsy.com is just what you're looking for? Come on! Just for you, this yarn will treat you good!!!"

Arghghghghgh! I cannot stand it! I go to the 'puter, type in the URL and buy! Will it end? Will I ever have stash control? Will I ever be able to stand up to my inner yarn pimp???

Hi, I am Dianne and I'm a Yarn Pimp. I've gone 14 days without a yarn purchase (pre-purchased yarn clubs don't count!!).

No comments: