Monday, October 15, 2007

Yarn for food . . .

Okay, I just came back from the doctor a bit ago. On my way back, I was going to stop at the yarn store near the doc's office. This is a quaint little store with loads of sock yarn (my current fave!). I held firm (being on a food diet and a yarn diet at the same time) and drove past. That took great willpower!

Now, I am seeing this doc about my weight. That is to say, I want to lose the weight. I am not approaching this in a common fashion because those methods haven't worked. I've done Weight Watchers, Eat Right 4 Your Type, Atkins, etc., etc. and just couldn't crack the code. This time, though, it is working. We are approaching the weight loss in the most wholistic fashion that I've ever done. We are looking at the physical, mental and emotional sides of things. Without going into the long and boring details, I've lost 33 pounds since Feb, 2007. Sure, it might not seem like a lot - but, for me, it is a breakthrough!!!

Anyway, I realized that part of why this is working is that I am shifting my reward system away from food. It wasn't all that long ago when I'd complete some project (aroudn the house) or some task and I'd reward myself with chips or icecream or some such thing that didn't help my health. Today, as I was driving by the yarn store, I realized that I was offering myself a fibery reward. This is a much healthier way to approach life, I think.

I am going to set these little goals for myself. If I can get off 5 more pounds next month, I'll buy Stephanie Japel's Fitted Knits. More weight after that might mean more sock yarn, who knows? Anyway, it feels good.

No comments: