Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Travel Souveniers

Well, I am, once again, on a yarn diet. Okay - not really a diet but a life style change. I may still buy yarn but, I won't use it right away. As I may have mentioned, I am trying to finish some UFOs this year. I want to get some projects done so that I can start new with a clear conscience.

Part of this is so that I can knit more for myself. It seems that I end up knitting so much for others that I don't get my projects done. So, I am going to try to avoid taking knitting requests this year. If I knit for others, it will be with Yule gifts in mind.

What does this have to do with travel, you ask? I can understand your confusion so I will explain. Because I am trying to use what I have and to pare down my projects, I probably won't be buying so much yarn that doesn't get knit right away. It seems that I use the purchase of fiber to help to fill my creative urges. When I don't have time to knit (or weave or sew), I buy materials instead. So, I am thinking that if I am actually knitting(or weaving or sewing), then the urges will be sated and I won't need to buy as much. Makes sense, right? Okay - follow me here . . . more knitting and less buying means I don't get to yarn stores much because I'll have less reason to go to my LYS. I won't get to see the new stuff and fondle the new fibers.

But, I travel for work and for play. When I travel, I like to bring back trinkets to remind me of where I was and when. Well, who needs another seashell toilet paper cover or a set of 50 state spoons? My plan is to visit local yarn stores in my travel destinations. I may, if the urge strikes, buy yarn from those foreign LYSs. But, because I will be travelling, I won't be adding to my stash. Oh, no!! Instead, I will be gathering souveniers from my travels. See? I knew you'd get it.

By the way, I am headed to Florida in a couple of weeks. I am traveling for work, really!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well it always helps if you have someone going thru the same thing, so I shall yarn diet with you, my dear...as for trinkets while travelling, why not pick up a chart or book for yarn you already have? Just an idea. No one said this will be easy - but here's for trying anyway!!!
Nini