Thursday, August 09, 2007

All about the process

It is the strangest thing. I go into a new project with excitement - ready to do something new, try a different technique, use new colors - whatever. I will knit away, taking the project with me wherever I go (much to the Yorble's chagrin). Wow! It is grand.

Then, after I've been knitting a while, my enthusiasm wanes. I've learned the technique or tire of the color or the fiber. New knitting magazines, patterns, and websites start to distract me and draw my attention away from the project at hand.

No, I hold firm, I finish the work and bind off. Sometimes I even block (or felt or whatever) the piece. Then, it sits there. I've got a sweater for my sis-in-law, a felted bag for myself, and a lovely lace sun hat that I adore all waiting for me.

I've known for a very long time that I am all about the process. This is why I like making things for other folks. I don't care too much about making for myself 'cuz I don't need to wear/use/store it. I want to do it - then, I am finished.

I've got to kick-start myself into 'finishitis'. Maybe I'll take a day or two and do just that. I've got all the parts, yarns, fabric, etc. I just need the focus. But, wait, Vogue Knitting just arrived. Oh, no!!!!!

No comments: