Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A Valuable Resource

A while back, I stumbled across a useful website. If you go here you will find an index of, at latest count, more than 3000 yarns.

This may not seem like such a big deal but it can be extremely helpful. For example, if you are searching for the weight of a particular yarn, you can go here and search by brand. It will allow you to search by weight, and find comparable yarns. It was helpful to me when I came across a pattern that called for a discontinued yarn. I was able to go to Yarndex and find the discontinued yarn entry and other yarns of similar weights.

It was also a benefit when I couldn't find a particular yarn from a specific manufacturer. It was something that few retailers seemed to carry. Yarndex gave me the info and I was able to get something that worked for my pattern.

There are a few yarn entries that have the option for purchase. They are hyperlinked to the folks who own the site.

OTN: I still have Mama Monkey's Mystery Socks on my needles. I had to frog the first couple of rows of the leg pattern. I was frustrated and put it down for a couple of days. Now, I am still on the first pattern repeat but it is going well. For me, this combination of cable and a little lace-like knitting requires concentration. I've been knitting them at work, mostly, because at home I get a lapful of puppies and kitties. Sigh. I love those animals but need some space now and again.

No comments: