Thursday, August 09, 2007

Amazing Fibery-goodness

Holy DPNs, Batman!!!

Have you seen the Ravelry website yet? Cripes, I just got through looking at the sample screens and had to pick my jaw up off of my desk.

I heard about http://www.ravelry.com/ in June. I, unfortunatley, didn't sign up until July 3rd. I am such a procrastinator!!!! Anyway, I heard about it through a podcast - probably Lime and Violet's (http://www.limenviolet.com/).

This is an amazing concept and looks like it will be even better in real life (so few concepts are). We will be able to keep track of our yarn and fiber stashes, patterns, books, works in progress, finished items, etc. We'll be able to see what others have completed, are working on, thinking about working on and so forth. We can look at patterns and see who has done them and in what yarn and see how it compares to what we are doing. (That all sounds the same - but, I know what I mean and so will you if you look at ravelry).

The folks creating this fantastic site are working hard. It is still in beta testing so you cannot just jump right in - not yet anyway. First, you have to sign up and wait. Then, hopefully, someday soon, you'll receive an invitation; then you can jump right in!!! I am slowly (and patiently) moving up in line. Now, there are fewer than 4000 people ahead of me in line and there are 11000+ behind me! There are already 12,229 people on it. Can you imagine a line like that for anything else?

I am trying NOT to kick myself for not signing up sooner. This is when procrastination is a bad thing!!! Sigh.

When I check my status, I get images of the Cold War era news stories from the USSR. There were reports (apocryphal?) that people had to stand in long lines for hours just to buy bread or shoes or cheese. People would get into a line without knowing what they were waiting for just in case they needed whatever it was. Well, don't wait! Get in line!!!

No comments: