Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The one in which I buy (or windowshop) local . . .


You know . . . there is a movement to "buy local". I think this is a great idea and I am examining my shopping and spending (yes, they are different) patterns to see where I can increase my support of the local economy.

I think the movement is called "3/50", although my memory might be lapsed. The concept is to shop at 3 (or more) local stores and spend at least $50. That is at least $50 total, not at each store. That's not too hard to do, really.

We've taken to shopping a bit more at local markets. Sure, we still go to some of the warehouse stores, but we are trying to buy produce and other items more locally. I'd love to buy all organic but right not, it won't work in the budget so we do it where we can.

I am looking for a local, independent book store. There used to be one in Royal Oak but it is long gone. I can (and do) buy used at John King books. I love that place (both locations). Although I love books also, I buy more than that.

That gets me to my real idea of shopping, yarn stores! I buy little, if anything, at the big chain stores. Firstly, they have very little that I want. Unless I am making something for someone who won't appreciate finer fibers or something that needs to be indestructable (acrylic and hard-wearing), I shop at the independent stores. I go to Ewe-Nique Knits in Royal Oak, MI as much as possible. If I am unable to make it there, I go to . . . have you any wool? in Berkley, MI. When I am working at the local base, I shop at Crafty Lady Trio in Sterling Heights/Utica area. I do my best to spread my money around to other shops as well.

Lo and behold, I find out that I am going to be spreading my money a little thinner. There is a new (or newer) yarn shop in Clawson, MI and it isn't that far from me. It is PK Yarn Over Knit and is close by. I am hoping to get there soon. Who knows what I'll find that I 'need'? Okay, maybe I won't 'need' anything, but I can look, can't I?

Don't judge my shopping habits (or my yarn stash)!! Just buy local!

No comments: