Thursday, August 26, 2010

The one in which I consider world domination . . .



I think by now we all know that global change happens incrementally and slowly. Just think about it . . . aspects of our 'green' movement began in the '70s with awareness of the ecology and the inception of Earth Day. Creation of workers rights began slowly with protests and then unions and then the creation of laws to support our workers. Civil rights was the same way. People fought their individual battles and then they started talking with each other and sharing their struggles. The media took it up, people organized and laws changed. Even with the legal foundation, there are still folks struggling for fair application of the the rights that we all deserve.

Please understand that I am not equating knitting with the struggle for racial or gender equality or for pay equity or for any of those things that I consider consider struggles for basic human rights. I recognize that I am over-simplifying those intense struggles. Instead, I use them as examples as I propose a more subtle point of view.

We live in a world that is harsh and intense. Our world is fast-paced; it is hard. In order to manage our existance and to get through life with poise, grace and joy, I believe that we each need to find space, time and activities that brings us peace, that make us happy and that help us to be calm and joyous. I believe that this is an important aspect to where we are going as a global society. People are talking about all of these changes that will happen in 2012 - well, I believe those changes to be about an end to a way of life. It would be an end to the erratic, fast-paced, economy-centric world as we know it. I believe that we are moving toward a calmer, more creative way of living.

For many, creative pursuits help us manage stress. They often allow us to slow down and be more calm. Creative pursuits help us to access parts of our brain (right) that we don't use as often as we could. They can help us express ourselves and work through issues. Creative outlets can help us manage our pain and express our joy.

Okay - that's the foundation for what I am proposing. My proposal - well, basically, I believe we should take over the world one knitter at a time. Yep, that's it. Let's aim for world domination!!!

I don't really think that we all need to be knitters or even that we have to work with fiber (although I am partial to fiber work). I chose knitting because I love it and it is an example of a creative outlet. To say "Let's take over the world, one creator at a time." sounds a bit strange so I choose to use "knitter". I submit that that we must (MUST!!) make time for creative outlets and actually pursue them. They must become a priority. Our priorities should be food, shelter, clothing and creation. Of course, good health and family are in there.

I am just saying that I am tired of folks saying "I don't have time for knitting because . . . (insert excuse)." Those of us who knit (or crochet or needlepoint or draw or write) know that it can find its way into the oddest times and spaces. Some of us knit when we are standing in line or are stopped in traffic. Some of us knit when we are waiting for the film to start at the theater. Others knit in bed or at lunch at work or school. Many of us create when we cannot sleep or first thing inthe morning in order to wake up. Drawing or writing or crochet or whatever can be the same way. If you cannot lug around your loom or your easel then plan your projects when you are away from your tools. You don't have to carry around your clay or the chisel you use to sculpt those behemoth statues; you can, instead, carry around your sketch book. You can plan the jewelry that you'll make when you get home. It can be done.

Okay, that's it. That's what I propose. We should take over. Train other knitters! Wear the uniform (which will be handmade and fabulous, of course)! It is time for us to talk and walk the talk. Let's take over the world. It's time.