Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The one in which I try to see the future. . . .


Yep, it's that time again . . . it seems that I update annually now. Cripes, time does fly. Who knew? Well, I sure should have.

Loads of stuff has changed and much of it has stayed the same. I've divorced, I've moved, I've found love again. I've sewn, I've knitted, I've done nothing.

Right now, I am trying to work on unfinished objects (UFOs). It's like other aspects of my life. I'm trying to bring some old issues to closure before I being new parts of of my life. Anyway, last week, while I was sick, I finished a triangular shawl for myself. It is a simple shawl with random eyelet rows amidst the garter stitch. It is knit from Yarn Hollow (www.yarnhollow.com) yarns and it is the yarns that are fascinating about the project.

For my lightweight knitting (something I can carry around outside the house), I am working on my Frog socks. These are a generic pair of socks made from SWTC's soy-based chitin yarn. They are in green with a bit of gray and white. The green runs from a soft spring green to poisoned apple green. They are a 2x2 rib on the leg and a rib/stocking stitch combo on the foot.

For the heavyweight knitting (something that stays home and required concentration), I am knitting or rather trying to knit on Betty's afghan. This is a project for my BFF's mother. Betty is 92 this year and I need to get it done. I may have written of it before (there aren't so many entries - I suppose I could look). Betty has done an afghan for all her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. This is the last and she cannot do it anymore. I received 1 (of an eventual 9) panel, partially finished. The pattern was typed on a manual typewriter on a slip of a piece of paper. It had a name akin go to "Marquise Afghan". Of course, I've lost the pattern. I've got to try to 'read' my knitting to figure it out. I think it is the Feather and Fan stitch - at least, that looks good so far. I made all the panels and when I was piecing it for final assembly, I realized that the original panel was too short. Even though I'd added to it, it was still too short. Sigh. So, I only need to add to that (without the pattern) and assemble it.

I am not sure what I'll do after this; who knows what the future brings. I am itching to start something new but I am so enjoying cleaning up projects. I do believe the next UFO-to-FO stop on this journey will be the sweater for Thomas. Thomas was born in March; I've still got time.

Blessings to all.



Dianne

No comments: